Monday, March 7, 2011

Week 8

This week was by far the busiest week I have had as an intern, but I'm afraid this week might be even busier. Our special assistant for Health and Welfare got a job in Washington D.C., so last week was her last week. Amy, the secretary in our office, my mentor, and my favorite person ever, took over her job, which meant I took over Amy's job. But I don't have an intern to do the job I was doing, so now I am doing both jobs and although we didn't officially start our new jobs until today, we were busy trying to learn our new jobs. I found out about this only about a week before, so I had so so much to learn before the switch. This was like a job now, not an internship. I had to change my mentality too. Before I was just there to learn, but now I am there to work hard and do the best I can. Before, if I didn't know something I could just ask Amy, her desk was about 5 feet away from mine and she was always willing to help out, but now she is really busy with her own job and clear across the office, so I have to be on top of my game. So I was busy learning everything preparing for this week and it was a crazy week anyway. The capitol was FULL of high school and middle school students protesting the new education reform plan. It is perfectly fine if people go and protest, but these students got a little out of hand and were very loud and very disrespectful. One guy in my office told me he had a new name for the Capitol, "Daycare for a Day" because students were running around everywhere, even sliding down the banisters. So that was a little unnecessary.
I did have a really fun week though, everyone in my office is great and always so appreciative of the work I do. Wednesday I went out to a really fun dinner with my dad, all the new senators, a lobbyist and the Pro Tem. The lobbyist was trying to set me up with his 26 year old son the whole night though, because his son is engaged to a girl his wife doesn't like, so he's trying to break that up, and I guess he thought I was the girl to do it. I told him I was going to stay out of that. Right after the dinner I found out David and Katie had their new baby, baby Jack :) Friday night I went to Bannock Counties Lincoln day, Saturday morning Bear Lake's Lincoln day, and then stayed after for a meeting with Superintendent Luna and the teachers of Bear Lake to discuss the education plan. That was pretty interesting as you can imagine. After that we went to Logan, to see new baby Jack and he is so so adorable and then headed down to Provo for baby Liam's baby blessing on Sunday. It was so fun to see everyone there and all the little kids I just loved. Em and I had a date that night and when we got back we were locked out of the house, but didn't want to ring the door bell and wake up a child, so we just slept in the truck, except we didn't get much sleep. Sunday was Liam's blessing and he looked so cute in his vintage outfit. Then it was back to Boise. It was a great weekend and went by way too fast.
Today was a lot better than I was expecting. I was so nervous I was going to be lost all day, I worried about it most of the weekend actually. But it went really well. This morning when I got ready I made sure to put on heals and pearls so I would be confident the whole day, and I was. It worked! I was busy, but nothing too bad and I felt like I knew what I was doing the whole time! Hopefully it stays like that the rest of the week.

2 comments:

  1. You'll do great!! It's stressful starting a new job always. I love the high heels and pearls part!! It's so true. They make ya feel like a lady!! It was so fun to see ya this weekend!! See ya in 5 weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nat, It is so fun to read your blog! I love it. I hope you continue to post every week. I bet you are doing a awesome job. What an incredible experience!
    Love you and miss you tons! Give Dad my love!

    ReplyDelete