Friday, March 11, 2011

Week 9 was sure interesting

127417.jpg


This picture is from a rally held wednesday evening formed mainly by the teachers who do not support the education reform plan. This was the largest rally I have ever seen from the 10 weeks I was a page and the 9 weeks I have been doing my internship. They had each person lined up and walk around the capitol. The line was big enough to make it all the way around the block the capitol building is on. I was impressed and sad at the same time. I sat and watched this crowd for about 10 minutes and I found it interesting that so many people outside that capitol building hated this plan and just 20 feet away inside the capitol so many people loved the plan. The protesters outside say the politicians agree with the plan because they want to punish union workers, secure their seat for next election, get money for their campaigns from big businesses and so on. The politicians say the protesters don't like it because they don't understand the plan. They don't understand that we simply don't have enough money to keep things the way they are, they don't understand that you can't stabilize an economy by raising sales taxes, they don't understand what is actually in senate bills 1108, 1110, and 1113. I've been pondering all week about who is actually right. I always expect issues to be black or white, but this isn't. This plan could be the best thing for Idaho education if it goes the way the politicians want it to go, but it will be pretty devastating if it goes the way the protesters think it will and if the teachers think it will fail, they will make sure that it fails. Most people who have called me about the plan know little about it, and if so it's usually the generalized version the press. Some do know a lot about it and are still against it though. And some people call in and think it's the greatest thing ever. I have followed this plan very closely and take every chance that I get to learn more about it, because I feel that it's important that I know all about when people ask me questions, but also because it's interesting to me and I have never seen so much opposition on one side and so much support on the other side.


Moving on. . . ha I have had the new job for a week now and everything has gone quite smoothly until today. I sit at the Governor's secretary's main office desk for usually 2 hours a day, but today I was there for about 5 hours. Within the first 3 hours I had four incidents dealing with constituents where the Idaho State Police had to step in and help me. Up until today I have never had an issue like that, I couldn't believe I had 4 all in one day. 2 of them turned out to be nothing and just harmless people, but 2 of them scared me. The first guy was asking where the governor was at and just acting really suspicious and would question me and then repeat everything I said like, "Oooohhh, so the governor is in a meeting right now, hmmm..." "Oooohhhh so the governor will be back in his office on Monday then." He was just acting really suspicious and crazy, he said some crazy things. Ha the police officer that was in my office at the time didn't get a good look at him so he was questioning me about what he looked like. And you know how that goes, once someone asks you what they look like, you all of the sudden can't remember, yeah that was me today.

Then later that day, the officer who has an office next to mine left early for the day and then thirty minutes later a real crazy lady came in. She thought the twin towers was a conspiracy theory and hated the government and started yelling and swearing at me and just saying some awful things. I didn't know what to do because my security guard was gone. I have a panic button on my desk that I can push, but she wasn't violent, just crazy so I didn't want to push it unless something happened, but I was still pretty nervous because I was the only one in that office. Luckily another lady walked in so the crazy lady left shortly after, but the security guard across the hall saw her storm off and called my desk and told me all the secret codes for everything incase that happens again I'll be prepared :) ha

No comments:

Post a Comment